The Awe of the No-Hitter

Ok, I know that my last few posts have only been on baseball, but I make no apologies for this.  Baseball is a game that few appreciate.  Or as Leo Durocher ("Leo the Lip") astutely pointed out, "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Homer Bailey of the Cincinnati Reds no-hit the Pittsburgh Pirates last night in Pittsburgh.  Ryan Hanigan anchored Bailey through nine innings of brilliance behind the plate.


What is most remarkable is that Bailey only allowed one ball to leave the infield through the first 6 innings!

This is the 7th no-hitter in the majors this season, so does that make this season "the year of the pitcher?"  As a former pitcher who threw a stellar 6 inning perfect game as a 12 year old, I am as happy as a clam in mud to see pitchers taking charge again, fresh off the the heels of a steroid stricken decade.

I was sitting in the youth room after a typical Friday night youth group when I noticed an intriguing tweet - NO-HITTER ALERT!  I had to tune in (and was finally so thankful for my over priced MLB tv subscription).  I watched as Bailey headed out for that hallowed ninth inning.  I can only attempt to imagine the emotions that he must have been experiencing.  Ecstatic joy?  Sickening pressure?  Nostalgia?  I wonder if his little league days were flashing back through his mind?  Or was he honed in on the task at hand?  Regardless of how he was feeling, what he did was pitch a fully composed ninth; always focused on locating that still 93 mph heater.  Hanigan kept asking for the fastball up, alternating inside and outside based on the present hitter's strengths.

As the Reds pursue success this postseason, this is truly the cherry on top of their season.

Homer Bailey, we tip our caps to you!  What an accomplishment and what a memory to cherish!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arozarena And His Rays

The Molina Brothers