Bursting Their Bubbles

Let me start by saying that I don't know exactly what I would do with millions of dollars in my bank account. I also am not certain how having a lot of money would affect my character and my decision making. I'm privileged to work on the "front-lines" during a global pandemic, and I say this to not pat myself on the back but instead to acknowledge the perspective from which I'm writing.

I'm getting quite annoyed with the reports by multiple high-profile athletes about how difficult life in the playoff bubbles has been for them. I can appreciate that the day-to-day would have been isolating at times. However, by many reports it seems as though athletes were invited to return to freshman year of college, outside of attending classes, and the parties that were anything but physically distanced.

Also, some players have maintained that they chose to treat their playoff experience "like a business trip" and therefore not bring their families along. I've interpreted that to mean something along the lines of trying to express how much they want to focus on winning their respective title. I do not see this type of sacrifice as anything compared to the sacrifices that so many others have made during this gut-wrenching year. I hope I've made my response to this line of thinking clear: I have next to no sympathy for these athletes on this matter.

Maybe my point is better communicated with a question: What would you do for, say, 10 million dollars? Would you spend 3-4 months in a bubble away from the comforts of modern life? Would you allow a chef cook you your meals, have housekeeping do you laundry, continue with your personal trainers, and hang out with your teammates drinking wine, playing video games, supporting one other for 16 weeks?

There were reports in both the NHL and NBA of players secretly bringing in others (i.e. strippers) and therefore bursting the bubbles and jeopardizing the safety of their teammates, opponents, coaches, staffers, journalists, the strippers, and themselves. Thanks to @PRiMETIMESNOOP for the tweet on Vancouver Canucks' goalie Thatcher Demko. I truly hope this doesn't come across as too judgemental but I want to attempt to speak for the working class person who has literally isolated in their homes since March (or earlier), or the person who braved the dangers of COVID-19 in order to do their job with excellence, dignity, and integrity.

I need to say emphatically that I really enjoy following sports. I am intrigued by the talent and determination of professional athletes. These pointed remarks are simply in response to those athletes who felt so hard done by because they chose to change their schedules for a few months in order to play the sport they love, and continue to be some of the most outlandishly compensated human beings in the history of humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arozarena And His Rays

The Molina Brothers