Would You Trade...?

This is the first instalment of "Would You Trade...?" on That's Sports.  We are hoping to spark some debate and create some buzz on a few different venues.  Firstly, in light of the impending and heart-wrenching NHL lockout, we are hoping to have something substantial to talk about.  Secondly, we think that this is something that many fellow sports fans probably think about from time to time, and finally we think this is an amusing thought experiment.  It probably should also be said that this is a fun exercise based on the NHL.  Although it could be fun to engage with other sports, we feel that for our purposes the NHL is our proper platform.


So to speak as Michael Scott, "...without further ado" I give you the inaugural "Would You Trade...?"


Trades

a. Dion Phaneuf & Joffrey Lupul (TOR)          FOR          Cam Ward (CAR)?

b. Sidney Crosby (PIT)          FOR          Carey Price & Max Pacioretty (MTL)?

c. Jonathan Toews (CHI)          FOR          Taylor Hall & Sam Gagner (EDM)?

d. P.K. Subban (MTL) & 1st Round Pick          FOR          Phil Kessel (TOR)?

e. Jonathan Quick (LA)          FOR          Alexander Burrows & Roberto Luongo (VAN)?

f. Milan Lucic & Brad Marchand (BOS)          FOR          Shea Weber (NAS)?

g. Niklas Backstrom (WSH)          FOR          Phil Kessel & John-Michael Liles (TOR)?



Granted, there are numerous factors that go into blockbuster deals such as the ones hypothetically mentioned above.  However, before I let you go I will let you know which trades I would pull the trigger on.


If I were the Toronto Maple Leafs, I would go for trade (a.) solely on the reason that Toronto has needed a #1 goalie since the days of Curtis Joseph.  This is a point that my colleague made in his post entitled, "Why Sidney Crosby Should Play Goalie for the Leafs."

I would also painfully have to take trade (b.) from a Habs perspective (which is where I truly come from).  It kills me to say that I would trade Carey Price at all, but it makes me feel a little better that I would be trading him for the best player in the game, Mr. Sidney Crosby.


I would trade (g.) Kessel and Liles to Washington for Nicklas Backstrom if I was Brian Burke.  I realize that you would want Backstrom to centre Kessel's line, but you could still put van Riemsdyk and Lupul on a line with Backstrom.

The only other trade that I feel would make sense for my hypothetical team would potentially be the Jonathan Toews, Taylor Hall & Sam Gagner transaction from an Edmonton perspective.  As glowing of a potential upside that Hall may have, I think that Toews would be just what the doctor ordered in Edmonton, especially for the crop of young talent surrounding him.  I think that his experience and leadership would outweigh what Edmonton would be giving up in Hall and Gagner.

So go ahead and let me know your opinions on the first crack at "Would You Trade...?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arozarena And His Rays

The Molina Brothers